I also spent some time this morning painting the valve cover and inspection plates, and also preparing the engine to receive new gaskets so I can reinstall those parts.
Last night I removed, cleaned, and primed the valve cover and inspection plates.
I used some Al’s Datsun Engine Blue spray paint on the parts.
I applied one thin coat and allowed it to dry before re-coating.
The valve cover and inspection plate gaskets were in bad shape but still sticking to the head. Pictured below, the valve cover gasket is orange and the inspection plate gaskets are black.
I used my gasket scraper to pry off the inspection cover gaskets and then scrape smooth the surface of the head where they were.
With a lot of effort the metal was clean and smooth.
The valve cover gasket was a bit more stubborn. I found it helpful to use a broad joint compound knife to pry it from below.
After working all the way around the perimeter with a variety of tools to get underneath the gasket, I was able to remove it in a single piece.
Then I used the blade of my small gasket scraper to clean up the mounting surface of the gasket.
After the scraping was done and the surface was smooth, I used my Shop Vac to thoroughly clear the entire area of scrapings and remaining pieces of gasket around the inspection covers and the valve cover. The last thing I need is a bit of old gasket getting sucked into the engine internals!