This afternoon I spent more time scrubbing the engine on the passenger side where the generator, distributor, spark plugs, and oil filter are located. I did this in phases in between removing the heater hoses and the generator. The engine block on that side was covered in a thick coating of engine and road grime. I also went back over to the other side of the engine bay to work on cleaning up the steering column and shift linkage.
I decided to reinstall the oil filter with a protective layer of aluminum foil to keep the dirt and debris from infiltrating the oil filter tower and possibly getting into the engine internals.
Then I reinstalled oil filter housing the mounting bolt and threaded it into the base on the engine.
I wet the engine block down and sprayed it with some Simple Green. Then I scrubbed with a heavy duty Scotch Brite pad.
After a few rounds of scrubbing the engine began to look a bit better.
I was very careful with the water around the distributor, but after some scrubbing was able to reveal the engine number on that side of the block.
On the front half of the engine, passenger side, I liberally sprayed with Simple Green and used a heavy wire brush to clean the block and the area around the engine mounts.
After a good rinse the engine looks much better over there, even revealing the original blue-green color of the engine block.
I went to work on the steering column; the bottom where the steering box is located was covered in a thick coat of greasy grime.
And the upper section where the shift linkage connects to was also pretty filthy, but it cleaned up nicely.
Here is the cleaned-up steering box.