Manifold Clean-Up

This afternoon I spent some time cleaning up the intake and exhaust manifolds to prepare them for paint.
I started with the washers and engine-lifting bracket, which I sprayed with Simple Green and scrubbed with a Scotch-Brite pad.

After a fair amount of scrubbing they came pretty clean and revealed the original paint underneath the grease and dirt.

I used some Metal Prep to treat the raw metal, applying it also with a Scotch-Brite pad. The Metal Prep removes light rust chemically but also leaves a protective coating on raw steel to fend off new rust.

Next I turned my attention to the manifolds. I removed the hot spot gasket from the exhaust manifold. It’s thin and impregnated with metal.

I used a drywall knife to pry off the carburetor insulator from the intake manifold without too much trouble.

Here is a look at the thickness of the insulator.

I sprayed and scrubbed the exhaust manifold.

And I sprayed on scrubbed the intake manifold.

Then I turned my attention back to the manifold mounting washers and engine-lifting bracket, which had dried nicely in the sun. I sprayed on a coat of Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer.

After they dried, I slipped them over to prime the other side.

The exhaust manifold is cast iron, and it had more surface rust than the steel parts. I used a wire brush in my drill to remove some of the pitting.

Before…and after.

Here is the wire brushed outside of the exhaust manifold.

And the before and after of the inside of the exhaust manifold.

I applied some Metal Prep to the exhaust manifold.

And I also applied some Metal Prep to the intake manifold.

This entry was posted in Air & Fuel System, Clean-Up, Exhaust. Bookmark the permalink.