In addition to the J13 Engine Gasket Set I ordered, I also ordered some gaskets from Moss Motors for the British B-series engine, found on the MGA and MGBs. Early Datsuns were produced with a licensed version of the B-series engine and the E-1 has that lineage, so many of the British engine parts cross over to the E-series engines.
I ordered two lines of valve cover gaskets from Moss, the first made of cork and the second a more durable silicone. The J13 valve cover gasket shown below at the top of both pictures is the one with the holes for the valve cover mounting screws, which is how the J13 and later (1964-65) 320s fixed their valve covers to the head. The earlier 320 valve covers did not have these six screws and were mounted by two large bolts through the top of the valve cover. The cork version is Moss Motors part #296-310 and was about $2. The red silicone version was part #296-311 and was $17.
The side cover/inspection cover gaskets that came with the J13 gasket set were made of cork. The same silicone valve cover gasket shown above from Moss also comes in a kit with a pair of red silicone inspection cover gaskets for less than $20 for all three pieces, part #296-425. Here are some shots of the J13 inspection cover gaskets compared to the B-series silicone versions.
Furthermore, Moss sells a very nice, U.S.-made exhaust manifold gasket that is a perfect match for the E-1 engine. Part #297-535 was $9. Compare to the J13 version below.
Late last year I cut out a small section of my already-damaged original air cleaner in order to try to identify a good match for the original blue/green paint color to repaint the 320’s air cleaner. Earlier this month I was finally able to get that sample matched and have some paint made up.
I went to Ace Hardware, where they sell oil-based Rust Paint and offer a color-matching service using their computer. I had to flatten my slightly-curved metal swatch, but they were able to get a good reading and mixed up a gallon of paint for me.
Here is the tag that identifies the color recipe for posterity, and a shot of the open can of paint.
I tested the paint on the lid of my air cleaner. Using a foam brush I painted half of the inside of the lid to get a sense of how close the paint was.
I think it is a pretty good match.
Part of my plan is to replace the fuel pump. Unfortunately, the 320’s E-1 engine fuel pump is no longer available from Nissan and as far as I can tell, not really available in the aftermarket anymore either. I did some research and found that the J-series fuel pumps should fit the E-series motor in the 320s, but haven’t been able to chase down one of those yet either. I’m pretty sure the fuel pump on my engine now is a J-series engine pump.
I’d really rather stick with a mechanical fuel pump if at all possible. Rebuilding is an option, but I haven’t had any luck finding a rebuild kit. They are probably out there.
Mike Klotz, in a couple of posts on the Ratsun forums, discovered that the four cylinder Datsun L-series engine, found in 510s and the later 521 trucks has the exact same footprint as the 320 and 520 fuel pump. Since those vehicles are much more common than the 320 trucks the aftermarket parts support should be considerably higher. However, the L-series fuel pump is not a direct swap for the J-series, as the arm on the L-pump is much longer than the J-pump. Mike’s idea was to transplant the arm from the J-pump over to the new L-pump and install the new one. It should work and is something I plan to attempt if I can’t find a new J-series pump.
Here’s the fuel pump on my truck. It is a Nikki brand pump but I don’t believe it is the original OEM pump that came on the truck based on its appearance, but a later-style J-series engine fuel pump.