Manifold & Oil Filter Housing Painting

This afternoon I painted the intake and exhaust manifolds, their mounting hardware, and the oil filter housing to make them all look new and original.
I had at least a half a can of Eastwood’s high temperature Factory Gray spray paint leftover from use on my roadster. This paint is designed to capture the appearance of new cast iron and is safe to up to 1,200 degrees so it is suitable for an exhaust manifold.

I masked off the threads of the studs for the intake manifold and started spraying. It came out pretty nice.

I also masked off the threaded studs on the intake manifold before painting.

I previously ordered a can of Al’s Datsun Engine Blue spray paint, which I’ve used with much success on Datsun engines and engine parts in the past. I bought this can on ebay, but I believe it is currently available from California Datsun’s website here.

The finished intake and exhaust manifolds:

Here are the manifold mounting washers, engine lifting bracket, and oil filter housing, which I previously cleaned up, prepped, and primed.

I sprayed them with the same Datsun blue engine paint, since I found traces of that color on each of the parts, suggesting that was their original color.

New Filters!

Last week I ordered some replacement air, fuel, and oil filters from Rockauto. I was pretty pleased to find the filters still available. These are from Fram, which aren’t known as the best filters in the world, but frankly are probably as good or better than the ones that came on the truck in the mid-1960s. Plus I got a rebate!

The air filter is part # CA352.

The fuel filter is part #G3359.

The oil filter cartridge is part #CH820PL.

There is also a WIX oil filter cartridge available that is part #51300.

Removed Oil Filter Housing

Later in the afternoon I removed and cleaned up the oil filter housing.  Modern engines typically have a screw-on plastic-shelled integrated oil filer that screws up into a mount on the engine from underneath.  The E-1 engine has a cartridge-style oil filter that resembles a modern one (though probably more primitive) with its outer shell removed.  The cartridge-style (paper) filter slides onto a shaft and is protected by a metal, distinctive dome-shaped housing.  This set-up is located facing upwards on the battery-side of the engine bay behind the generator and in front of the distributor, just below the spark plugs.

I used a 5/8″ socket to loosen the threaded rod that holds the oil filter housing into its mount.

When the rod came out I lifted it away and it brought the housing up with it. Below on the right is a shot of the oil filter and housing mounting point.

Here is the oil filter that was on the truck.

The filter housing itself was very dirty, but clearly had originally been painted in Datsun engine blue, so I decided to repaint it that color.

I sprayed it down with water and some Simple Green, and then used a blue scouring pad to scrub it.

There was a fair amount of surface rust on the housing, although it is very solid. I used some Metal Prep to treat the rust and bare metal surfaces. That’s as far as I got on this day.

Drained the Oil Pan

After I drained the fuel from the gas tank, I drained the engine oil. The oil pan is located right in front of the front frame cross-member, and the drain plug is right at the front and center of the pan.

I sprayed some Simple Green on the drain plug and scrubbed it with a stiff brush to clean off the grime and road dirt that had accumulated there.

With the head of the drain plug cleaned off, I used an adjustable crescent wrench to loosen the plug. The head of the plug was too large for any of my sockets.

After unscrewing the plug the rest of the way with my hand, the engine oil drained into my drain pan. It’s good news that the engine was in fact full of oil and the oil seemed to be in decent condition.

After the oil drained I replaced the drain plug.

I plan to find a replacement drain plug and copper washers if I can. More on that later.

Old school chrome oil filler cap

Today the new valve cover oil filler cap I ordered from Nissan arrived in the mailbox.  The one on the truck is very plain and I wanted to get one of the cool chrome ones I’ve seen that have the classic Japanese characters.

So I did some research to find the right part.  The part number for the E-1 engine oil filler originally was 15265-30800 but Nissan lists that part as NLA (no longer available).  So I know a lot of these parts crossover from similar Datsun vehicles of the time.  I had a hunch that the 1500 roadster may share the oil filler cap with the 320 truck.  Luckily, several years ago I ordered a similar old chrome cap for the roadster I’m restoring, which is a 1968 2000, and I happen to know that that cap also fits the 1600 roadsters (same part number).  I couldn’t find a part number for the 1500 filler cap, but I dug up the cap I bought for my 2000 from my roadster parts stash and lo and behold it fit the E-1 valve cover nicely.  Sweet.

So I ordered a new one from Nissan and it arrived today.  The part number is 15255-B3430.  List price is $12.60 but I got it from, which is the online parts department for Bruce Titus Nissan in Olympia, WA, for $9.78 plus shipping.  
Should be a nice touch of JDM nostalgia on the valve cover.