Today I installed all new round rubber grommets throughout the engine bay. Four months ago I removed all the dried up old grommets and measured them so I could procure fresh new replacements. There are 14 total grommets in six different sizes in the 320’s engine bay. I was able to buy new ones from McMaster Carr in all the sizes I needed, though I had to buy full bags of each size, since they don’t sell by the piece.
I worked my way around the engine bay from the front driver’s side toward the firewall and around to the front passenger side, installing all the new grommets as I went.
First was a 3/4″ diameter hole at the front-right on the lower inner fender.
Next, slightly back on the upper fender a smaller, 5/8″ hole for wiring to the signal lamps.
Since there were wires coming through, I cut the grommet using a pair of scissors to accommodate them.
Then I just put the grommet into place and used some rubber cement to glue it back together around the wires. I found the key to using rubber cement successfully in this application was to apply a very thin coat to both cut ends of the grommet, wait for the cement to dry, and then press the parts evenly together and hold them together for at least a full minute.
Next, further back a bit lower on the inner wheel well was a 1 1/4″ diameter hole for the hard fuel line from the fuel tank. No cutting necessary; I just popped that one over the end of the fuel line.
And further back and down lower was another, slightly smaller 1 1/8″ hole for the hard brake line for the front wheel.
Next, back on the firewall, was the choke cable, which comes through a 3/4″ hole, and the hole for the hood release rod, which was 1/2″.
I cut the grommet for the choke cable and slid it over the cable and onto the firewall.
Then I did the same for the hood release.
I replaced two grommets at the corner of the firewall and engine bay. The lower was 7/8″ in diameter and the upper 1 1/8″.
And on the other side of the steering column moving toward the center of the vehicle, I installed another 5/8″ grommet around the accelerator cable.
Next, down a bit lower on the firewall and continuing across toward the other fender were the pair of holes for the heater core supply and return hoses, which are 1 1/8″ in diameter. I used my needle-nose pliers to pull out the remnants of the hose from the lower outlet.
Then I used the pliers to pull out the grommet…
…and installed two new ones.
Next, on the inner fender passenger side just between the firewall and the battery shelf I installed a new 1 1/8″ diameter grommet around the brake line, again cutting and rubber cementing it around the line.
Further forward, behind the front end of the batter shelf on the upper fender I pressed in a 5/8″ grommet around the signal lamp wires similar to on the opposite fender.
These new grommets make a big difference in the functionality and the appearance of the engine bay.
When I ordered my new grommets the minimum lot size (bag) ranged from 25 to 100 for the smaller size grommets. I actually sold a handful of kits I made by bagging up the surplus grommets in each size, labeling them, and providing an engine bay map of where they go. I may still have some grommets leftover, so f you have interest in buying such a kit, just shoot me an email.