New Paint in the Engine Bay

Last week I cleaned up and prepped the right and left inner fenders in the engine bay. Today I spent the morning repainting the inner fenders.
Ordinarily the best way to paint an engine bay is to remove the engine and all of the ancillaries to prevent overspray. That isn’t in the cards for this project. So the next best alternative for me was to mask off the areas I didn’t want covered in red paint. I used some blue painters tape, newspaper for the larger areas, and aluminum foil, which I was able to form around the less-uniformly shaped areas and components.
I used blue tape to delineate the lower fender from the upper (which I’m not painting) and used foil to cover up the fuel line, brake line, and choke and accelerator cables.

I used the blue tape to cover up the corner of the firewall where it meets the fender and foil to cover the suspension.

Next I used a lot of newspaper to mask off the upper fender, external fender, engine, master cylinders, and front grille area.

The paint I’m using comes from APS Tower Paint in Wisconsin. That company will match just about any vehicle’s paint color from the color code your provide, including a 1964 Datsun. The color of my truck is Hustler Red, and Tower Paint sent me a spraycan of acrylic enamel paint for around $35. In total on this truck I used two cans of paint.

Following the directions on the can, I shook and rotated the can thoroughly and then applied a thin coat of paint, being careful to avoid runs.

After two more coats the color looked very nice.

Then I moved on to the left fender. It was a bit more complex, with more electrical wiring and the battery tray over there.

I used aluminum foil to encase the wiring harnesses and blue tape to mask off the upper fender and the firewall.

Then I used a lot more newspaper to cover the engine, distributor, oil filter mount, firewall, upper fender, and front panel. All that remained exposed was that lower inner fender area that was in the worst shape.

I also made sure to mask off the outside of the fender to avoid any overspray there.

Here is the left fender after the first light coat of Hustler Red.

And a couple more after subsequent coats.

After the paint dried overnight I removed all of the masking. Here are the finished right and left fenders.

And here is a shot of the renewed engine bay. The color turned out to be a really good match to the shiny exterior paint.

After painting the fenders I primed and painted the fuel filter bracket I removed from the engine bay.
The bracket was pretty rusty so I used a 3M stripping wheel in my drill to remove the rust.

After a coat of Metal Prep, I used some Rustoleum white clean metal primer.

Then I sprayed a couple of coats of Hustler Red on the bracket.