I spent some more time this afternoon cleaning up the engine bay and the steering column and engine block, which still had a lot of greasy dirt on them.
Here is the engine bay before I started.
I wrapped the oil filter mount in aluminum foil to keep it from getting soiled.
I started with the steering column and shift linkage as well as the steering box, spraying them with Simple Green, which is a great de-greaser and cleaner.
I used a small wire brush to scrub the nooks and crannies of the linkages.
That worked pretty well at removing most of the gunk from the steering column and box.
So I went to work on the engine block on the passenger side, which is now accessible with the removal of the generator.
After some time the area was much cleaner.