In addition to the J13 Engine Gasket Set I ordered, I also ordered some gaskets from Moss Motors for the British B-series engine, found on the MGA and MGBs. Early Datsuns were produced with a licensed version of the B-series engine and the E-1 has that lineage, so many of the British engine parts cross over to the E-series engines.
I ordered two lines of valve cover gaskets from Moss, the first made of cork and the second a more durable silicone. The J13 valve cover gasket shown below at the top of both pictures is the one with the holes for the valve cover mounting screws, which is how the J13 and later (1964-65) 320s fixed their valve covers to the head. The earlier 320 valve covers did not have these six screws and were mounted by two large bolts through the top of the valve cover. The cork version is Moss Motors part #296-310 and was about $2. The red silicone version was part #296-311 and was $17.
The side cover/inspection cover gaskets that came with the J13 gasket set were made of cork. The same silicone valve cover gasket shown above from Moss also comes in a kit with a pair of red silicone inspection cover gaskets for less than $20 for all three pieces, part #296-425. Here are some shots of the J13 inspection cover gaskets compared to the B-series silicone versions.
Furthermore, Moss sells a very nice, U.S.-made exhaust manifold gasket that is a perfect match for the E-1 engine. Part #297-535 was $9. Compare to the J13 version below.
I ordered a full J13 engine gasket set from RockAuto and it arrived this week. The 1.3 liter J13 engine came in the later 520 and 521 trucks and 411 cars from 1965-1969, but I expect that many/most of the gaskets will fit the E-1 engine. The set is Victor Reinz part #HS3597.
Here is a shot of the gasket set and its contents:
Below I will inventory the gaskets included for posterity.
Valve stem seals:
Valve cover and inspection cover gaskets:
Combination intake/exhaust manifold gasket (note that it is a perfect fit for the E-1 manifolds):
Carburetor insulator block
Note that the J13 insulator (right) has a single large oval-shaped opening to match the J13 intake whereas the E-1 intake manifold and insulator (left) has two separate circular openings:
There were the two intake/exhaust manifold gaskets. The slightly larger one is the hot spot gasket that mounts on top of the exhaust manifold and mates to the underside of the intake manifold (same gasket shown in both pics below).
Water pump gasket:
Fuel pump gaskets (two, one goes on either side of the fuel pump spacer, not included in this kit). These gaskets are also available separately, Beck/Arnley part #039-2008. Likewise, the fuel pump spacer is Beck/Arnley part #039-2002.
Thermostat tower gasket (also Beck/Arnley part #039-0004):
And, importantly here is the J13 head gasket:
Late last year I cut out a small section of my already-damaged original air cleaner in order to try to identify a good match for the original blue/green paint color to repaint the 320’s air cleaner. Earlier this month I was finally able to get that sample matched and have some paint made up.
I went to Ace Hardware, where they sell oil-based Rust Paint and offer a color-matching service using their computer. I had to flatten my slightly-curved metal swatch, but they were able to get a good reading and mixed up a gallon of paint for me.
Here is the tag that identifies the color recipe for posterity, and a shot of the open can of paint.
I tested the paint on the lid of my air cleaner. Using a foam brush I painted half of the inside of the lid to get a sense of how close the paint was.
I think it is a pretty good match.